Health information for the public and professionals, based on research
Dipex International is an association of academic and non-profit groups around the world, committed to improving understanding of health and illness experiences globally.
Rigorous qualitative research methods developed at the University of Oxford
All of our teams are trained in the 'Dipex Methodology' which is considered the gold standard for researching health experiences
DIPEx International is a unique global collaboration of scholars, clinicians, and patients committed to enriching our understanding of people’s experiences of health, healthcare and illness and bringing that new knowledge into the world. By adhering to a common set of methods across countries, health conditions, and patient populations, DIPEx International contributes distinct insights by:
- Allowing for comparisons across health conditions: Collectively, the studies pursued by the members of DIPEx international address 176 health conditions, more than a score of different types of experiences with health care, and several dozen explorations of the roles and experiences of caregivers.
- Facilitating comparisons across countries and health systems: There are currently DIPEx International initiatives in 13 countries around the world. Because comparable conditions are studied in multiple countries, it becomes possible to compare patient experiences collected and analyzed using consistent methods. Currently, there are 18 conditions that have been studied in multiple DI countries.
- Conveying patient and caregiver experience directly to patients, families, caregivers and clinicians: In 2019, the websites on which DIPEx studies are made freely available for public use were accessed by more than 7 million visitors. 80 percent of users reported that the websites offered information not otherwise available; 90 percent would recommend to family and friends.
- Advancing scholarly insights into patient experience: Researchers affiliated with DIPEx International have drawn on their DI studies to produce more than 250 articles published in peer-reviewed journals over the past 15 years.
- Supporting a global network of scholars who advance qualitative health research: Researchers affiliated with DIPEx International are affiliated with 30 universities around the world.
- Creating a repository of qualitative evidence: DIPEx studies generate interview transcripts that are unique in the depth of their inquiry and consistency of their methods: With a total of more than 200 studies completed or in development, this yields about 8,000 interview transcripts in 12 languages.